About this Blog

I started this blog as a record of my journey in learning how to run. I hope my experience can help you too in your mission to get off the couch, start exercising and lose that extra layer.

My posts are honest and personal. I have divided them into three sections that comment on my emotions, the physical run (jog!) and tips for next time to help me improve my performance. I hope you can use these ideas to encourage and help you along in your couch to 5k journey.


Please share your experiences, ideas or questions in the comment section of each post.

Popular Posts

Wednesday 28 December 2011

Week 6, Day 2

  33 minutes of exercise: 5 minutes to warm-up, 5 to cool-down and 20 minutes running.
(2 x run 10 minutes, 1 x walk 3 minutes)

(Wednesday 9:00am)

Emotions (before):
I had typical Wednesday-I-can't-be-bothered-going-but-I-will-anyway-itis. So I procrastinated for a couple of hours, chatted, had a coffee, then decided to go much later than usual...big mistake.

The run:
This is my first session in 6 weeks that I have not been able to complete. I finished the first 10 minute jog with good pace and covered the furthest distance I have so far. I got through the first 5 minutes of the second 10 minute run....

Then I couldn't jog anymore and I stopped. I was dehydrated, my mind was circulating negative thoughts about the jog continuously and I was very hot from the weather. As soon as she said "You only have 5 minutes to go," my body decided that it had had enough and could not go on any longer. When my pace turned into a walk, I could not get back into jogging.

I even paused the program and gave myself a walking rest with the intention to start jogging again - but as I said, once I had stopped, I could not get back into a jog. So I slowly walked the long distance home with my tail between my legs. I have never arrived home so exhausted, even after my 20 minute jog. I have learned a few lessons from this session. I will try it again on Friday. I thought of doing it this evening, but I find it easier to exercise on an empty stomach in the morning. I think I will have to repeat this week!

Tips for next time:
  • Do not do the session at a time when the temperature is starting to really heat up (especially when it is climbing to a maximum of 36°C). You will physically suffer.
  • Do not drink coffee before the exercise session - it will really dehydrate you, even if it is an hour before.
  • If you do fail to complete a session, it is okay, you can always try it again. There is no race to finish the program - you can repeat days or weeks
  • Psychological and endurance barriers are something you need to try to push through - dehydration, dizziness and injuries are alerts you will need to listen to.
  • Do not put off your scheduled session, even for a couple of hours, you made that time for a reason (such as weather).
  • Hydrate your body right from the day before, aim for eight glasses during the day to set your body up for the exercise.

No comments:

Post a Comment