About this Blog

I started this blog as a record of my journey in learning how to run. I hope my experience can help you too in your mission to get off the couch, start exercising and lose that extra layer.

My posts are honest and personal. I have divided them into three sections that comment on my emotions, the physical run (jog!) and tips for next time to help me improve my performance. I hope you can use these ideas to encourage and help you along in your couch to 5k journey.


Please share your experiences, ideas or questions in the comment section of each post.

Popular Posts

Wednesday 18 January 2012

Week 9, Day 2

(Wednesday 6:30am)

Emotions (before):
As I knew I could confidently jog for an entire 30 minutes (woo hoo!), I had to start working towards my goal of 5kms in 30 minutes. I only covered 4ks on Monday's run, so my target for this session was to further my distance to 4.5kms in the time frame.

To ensure I was ready for this new feat, I set my alarm for the earlier time of 5.30am and laid out all my clothes and kit ready for the morning run. It took me a little while to wake up (my usual Wednesday-itis), but as soon as I did I was out exercising in the fresh morning air.

I have also got a new goal to strive for. At the end of March my local area is having a 6.5km fun run that I am going to enter. I want to be a real competitor.

The run:
Today's session was very encouraging. There were no real negative moments or times where I was aching to walk, I just kept going. Yes, I did check the kilometres covered and time that had passed on my GPS app a few times, but that was more out of curiosity than a yearning for the end.

I actually beat my goal! I covered 4.65kms in the 30 minutes at an average pace of 6:32mins/km. I could of gone on and finished the 5kms, but I really want to finish my first 5k in the 30 minute time frame.

I was not completely exhausted or breathless after my run today either. This has given me the confidence to set a new goal - to actually cover 5ks in the last run of week 9. I thought I would need all of next week to strive for this achievement. It will mean I will be going faster than I ever have. 

If I don't achieve the full 5kms on Friday, it is okay - I really just want to further my distance from today. Yesterday, I did not even think I would be in a position to set the graduation goal this week. But, I am so happy with my effort today - 5kms on Friday is my target!

Tips for next run:
  • Not feeling it? Just put your jogging gear on, spend a bit of time in it and your mind will soon be swayed into exercising.

No comments:

Post a Comment