About this Blog

I started this blog as a record of my journey in learning how to run. I hope my experience can help you too in your mission to get off the couch, start exercising and lose that extra layer.

My posts are honest and personal. I have divided them into three sections that comment on my emotions, the physical run (jog!) and tips for next time to help me improve my performance. I hope you can use these ideas to encourage and help you along in your couch to 5k journey.


Please share your experiences, ideas or questions in the comment section of each post.

Popular Posts

Friday 30 December 2011

Week 6, Day 3

  35 minutes of exercise: 5 minutes to warm-up, 5 to cool-down and 25 minutes running.
(25 minute run with no walking)

(Friday 6:10am)

Emotions (before):
After I did not complete Day 2 of this week, I was sure that I would have to repeat that run. Although, last night I decided, 'No, I am just going to go straight into the scheduled 25min jog, if my body isn't ready for it, I won't be able to do it and I will just have to repeat the week.'

Once I had decided I was going to do the 25 minutes I started to get really nervous. Oh, the debates your mind has as you are trying to get to sleep...
'I couldn't even finish a 10 minute run, how am I going to complete 25 minutes straight!?' 
'You can just try, its only 5 minutes more than the 20 you did last week...' 
I have to admit, I was very nervous about this length of time, more so than last week's giant leap into 20 minutes. I think it was more the desperation of not wanting to repeat this week and the 'need' that I had to finish today's session.

One of the contributing factors to my incomplete run on Wednesday (notice how I am not using the word 'failed') was that I did not stick to my scheduled time and therefore it was too hot. So, going back to the previous weeks' routine, I ensured I laid out my running clothes and accessories the night before and set my alarm. Okay, yes, I didn't get up until 45minutes after the alarm went off, but I was still in the 5am to 6am time frame.

The run:
Yay, I did it! 25 minutes jogging straight! Although the length is longer, I think the fact that I am not stopping for a walking rest made it easier (does that make sense?) as my legs are continually rotating. 

The last 5 minutes of the jog today were all about breaking through the psychological barriers. Similar to Wednesday, where I stopped exactly at the last 5 minute mark, my body got excited today and told my brain 'Okay we can stop now' at that same point. But my brain had to keep telling my body 'Not long now, just keep going.'

The endurance side was okay today, the psychological side of things to ensure that I finished the session was the battle.

I only started the GPS when I started my jog, so it isn't really comparable to last week as that included the walking. The numbers indicate the kilometers covered.


I covered 3.81kms in my 25 minute jog, at an average pace of 6:56mins/km.

My pace:


I just find it interesting, I am not yet taking into much consideration.

The app said I had burnt approximately 280 calories. I have never really taken notice of calories, so I wanted to know what foods add up to this. I found this site that showed me exactly what it looks like:

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-does-200-calories-look-like.htm

Tips for next run:
  • Have external motivations that may help you break through the psychological endurance barriers and ensure you finish your jog. For example, the want to not have to repeat a week of the program helped me.


No comments:

Post a Comment