About this Blog

I started this blog as a record of my journey in learning how to run. I hope my experience can help you too in your mission to get off the couch, start exercising and lose that extra layer.

My posts are honest and personal. I have divided them into three sections that comment on my emotions, the physical run (jog!) and tips for next time to help me improve my performance. I hope you can use these ideas to encourage and help you along in your couch to 5k journey.


Please share your experiences, ideas or questions in the comment section of each post.

Popular Posts

Thursday 5 January 2012

Week 7, Day 2

(Thursday 7:00am)

Emotions (before):
I was actually looking forward to this jog, I really wanted to hit the 4km mark in the 25 minutes. I followed all my own advice and tips and ensured I went when I was really ready.

The run:
Today was a good day. As I was keen to go for my jog, the session was a positive one. I did my first 1.6kms (1 mile) at an average pace of 5:40mins/km! I didn't intentionally go at that speed, that is what my legs decided to do.

As with the last session, my legs slowed into a walk for 30 seconds between the 18 minute to 20 minute mark. My goal for next session is to make sure I do not stop jogging.

I was determined to hit the 4km distance, so I made myself run an extra few seconds in order to achieve that feat. I guess the extra time made up for the naughty walk. I do not know how I am going to fit in another kilometre in only 5 minutes!

I arrived home very puffed and very tired! I am grateful I do not have to work at the moment and I can sit on the couch for a very long time to recover....4ks to couch!

So in 25 (and a bit) minutes, I covered 4kms at an average pace of 6:36mins/km. 20 seconds faster per k than my last run. I will try and go at a more conisistent pace next session. I need to aim for a 6:00mins/km in order to complete the 5ks in 30 minutes. I will get there in a couple of weeks. At least it gives me something to aim for after the iPhone app is completed. 

Tips for next run:
  • If you have a distance goal in mind, keep going in order to achieve it, even if you may go slightly over the program's time.
  • If you had any shortfalls in your session, make conquering them a priority in the next run.

2 comments:

  1. Great Blog! I'm finding it particularly interesting to read as I am pretty much at the same stage with the app (completed week 7 run 3 today, Friday 6th). I wish I had kept a blog or some sort of record so I could look back at how I felt after each run.

    What are you going to do after the 9th week? Work on increasing the distance or work on doing the 5k in less time?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your kind comments! I find it quite amusing and also very helpful to read back over my notes from weeks ago.

    I think the real challenge for me will be to actually complete 5kms in the 30 minute run. I am only completing around 4kms in the 25 minutes and do not know where another kilometre is going to appear from in the final 5 minutes! I believe this will take up some time after the 9 weeks. I want to consistently be able to run 5kms in 30minutes and I won't move on until I can confidently say I can do it.

    After that I think I will try to increase the distance. I heard increasing distance is better for the weight side of things, rather than increasing speed.

    ReplyDelete