About this Blog

I started this blog as a record of my journey in learning how to run. I hope my experience can help you too in your mission to get off the couch, start exercising and lose that extra layer.

My posts are honest and personal. I have divided them into three sections that comment on my emotions, the physical run (jog!) and tips for next time to help me improve my performance. I hope you can use these ideas to encourage and help you along in your couch to 5k journey.


Please share your experiences, ideas or questions in the comment section of each post.

Popular Posts

Thursday 1 December 2011

Week 2, Day 2

(Thursday (!) 5:45am)

Emotions (before):
Ah I should take my own advice. Wednesday morning I was too tired to run. Grr! Well to be fair, I had stood up for 4 hours bopping about to the Foo Fighters in concert on the Monday night, but really that was well over a day before!

So I got up and jogged this Thursday morning. It is true, once you break your routine it is hard to get back into (yes, even one day!). I want this experience to be one I want to do, not one I am forcing myself to do. I have mixed feelings about missing the Wednesday schedule. Do I make myself go, even though I really really don't want to?

My partner told me, "Your body will put up a wall in your second week of exercise, you just have to break through it." It is then I realised I wasn't really tired, I was just arriving at the wall.

The run:
Once I started it was great. Ah that happy feeling again! I gave myself the opportunity to look around at the beautiful environment I was jogging through, rather than just focusing on getting through the seconds. This made the time go so much quicker.

I kept at a consistent pace, not too slow and not too fast. I didn't exert myself in the run, although I was still breathing heavily. I figured if I can achieve it, I will want to do it, rather than gasping for air and hating it. Oh the psychology!

Mind you, it did occur to me, I will be getting fitter, and the runs will be a bit easier, so I won't be sucking in the air as much as last week!

Yay, thank goodness I did it! Back into it! Missing one day can really make a difference.

Tips for next time:
  • Take a moment to enjoy your environment during your run. You will then feel a bit more relaxed in your workout, rather than intensely counting down the seconds.
  • Make sure you are enjoying it. You will not stick to it if you don't enjoy it.
  • For your last run of the week, set yourself mini goals during the session. It may be to jog a little faster, walk a little brisker or get to a certain point. When you achieve your goals it will set you up with confidence in moving to the next level.
  • Put on lip balm before your run. Dry lips when running feel awful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment