About this Blog

I started this blog as a record of my journey in learning how to run. I hope my experience can help you too in your mission to get off the couch, start exercising and lose that extra layer.

My posts are honest and personal. I have divided them into three sections that comment on my emotions, the physical run (jog!) and tips for next time to help me improve my performance. I hope you can use these ideas to encourage and help you along in your couch to 5k journey.


Please share your experiences, ideas or questions in the comment section of each post.

Popular Posts

Monday 9 January 2012

Week 8, Day 1

  38 minutes of exercise: 5 minutes to warm-up, 5 to cool-down and 28 minutes running.
(28 minute run with no walking)

(Monday 7:00am)

Emotions (before):
As with some other mornings, I needed some convincing to go today. Yesterday evening we went crabbing (walking with scoop nets in the water for a few hours) and I didn't get to sleep until midnight. So it took me about an hour from waking up to actually get out the door.

I just wasn't really motivated and the sound of 28 minutes was a little nerve-racking, especially because last week I hadn't 100% jogged the 25 minutes. I was even contemplating repeating Week 7 and then I reminded myself that this week is only 3 minutes more than last week’s jog, so I will just keep going with the program. I thought 'If you can't get through it, just walk today and try again tomorrow, no pressure.' This phrase is the best line to convince myself to go out and do a session.

The run:
I really tried to regulate the speed of my first kilometre and not go at my excited pace like I have in previous sessions. I wanted to complete the session (despite the 'no pressure' to do so), so I aimed for a consistent 6mins/km in at least my first k, which I hovered just above. I know that this enabled me to 100% complete today's run.


Yes, I did it! I jogged consistently for 28 minutes with no walking! It wasn’t as speedy as my last jogs, but the important thing is that I accomplished it with no walks. Not putting pressure on myself really works for me, it makes the session enjoyable, and there is a want to succeed rather than a discouraging demand to complete a time.

I am very relieved that I went out this morning and did the scheduled jog. I covered 4.18kms in the 28 minutes at an average pace of 6:48mins/km. I am not worried that I am not quite at the 6min/km pace, as I know this will give me something to aim for after the 9 week program is complete. I am starting to identify areas on the route that I am slowing down on, so I am trying to pick up my pace around these places.

Tips for next run:
  • Do not put yourself under discouraging pressure to complete a session before you actually start it. Go without this tension and you will find that a natural want and desire to succeed will emerge as you are exercising.

No comments:

Post a Comment