About this Blog

I started this blog as a record of my journey in learning how to run. I hope my experience can help you too in your mission to get off the couch, start exercising and lose that extra layer.

My posts are honest and personal. I have divided them into three sections that comment on my emotions, the physical run (jog!) and tips for next time to help me improve my performance. I hope you can use these ideas to encourage and help you along in your couch to 5k journey.


Please share your experiences, ideas or questions in the comment section of each post.

Popular Posts

Thursday 12 January 2012

Week 8, Day 2

(Thursday 6:50am) 

Emotions (before):
I was a bit lazy yesterday and slept in and missed my scheduled jog. However, it turned out for the better because my brand new running shoes arrived! I also went to the family home again and I could jog in an area today different from the usual.

I was enthusiastic to test my brand new running shoes out and therefore was keen to get out jogging.

My lifestyle has really changed because of the program. I have a new desire to do a leisure walk on the odd days (I remember when I even struggled to go for a walk). I drink more water and (besides through Christmas time) I am more selective about what I eat. For example, I avoid eating bread as it gives me tummy cramps during my runs. I am subconsciously dieting! Also, I just can't stop telling people and talking about where I am up to with my jogging.


The run: 
The run was generally good. Although I was tired after the first 5 minutes (!) and really wanted to walk, I completed the 28 minutes. When I wanted to slow I had to keep reminding myself that I have finished this run before so I can and should finish it again.

I jogged along some lovely paths beside the river, so after my session I took the old dog out for a walk to get a picture. It was actually really nice going for a leisurely walk post jog. I went about 30 minutes after and somehow this walk woke my body back up and gave me some energy back for the rest of the day. Very strange! It was only around 15 minutes, but instead of feeling overly tired and slouching on the couch after my run, it got me going for the day. I may have to try it again to see if it really does help me.

I covered 4.22kms in the 28 minute jog at an average pace of 6:53mins/km. 

Tips for next run:
  • If you have the time, try to fit in a 15 minute leisurely walk about 30 minutes after the jog - it may re-energise your body after the big session. 

No comments:

Post a Comment