About this Blog

I started this blog as a record of my journey in learning how to run. I hope my experience can help you too in your mission to get off the couch, start exercising and lose that extra layer.

My posts are honest and personal. I have divided them into three sections that comment on my emotions, the physical run (jog!) and tips for next time to help me improve my performance. I hope you can use these ideas to encourage and help you along in your couch to 5k journey.


Please share your experiences, ideas or questions in the comment section of each post.

Popular Posts

Saturday 14 January 2012

Week 8, Day 3

(Saturday 7:00am)

Emotions (before):
I woke up in a really good mood this morning and so was enthusiastic to go for my jog. I was very keen to try and beat the distance of last session.

The run:
Well my enthusiasm meant that I went too fast (for my body) again in my first 10 minutes! I forgot to regulate my pace, so today I succumbed to walking parts of the last half. The temperature was also creeping up (it was already 26°C during my run) so the heat was also a hindrance to my success and I didn't drink as much water as I should of beforehand. I will have to go back to my 5:00-6:00am running time on Monday.

I wasn't completely exhausted during the session, but at some points my body just couldn't keep up with a jogging pace. However, I was determined to hit at least 4kms, so I made sure I pushed myself and jogged the last few minutes to ensure I at least got that distance. Although I knew I hadn't 100% completed the session, I was really enjoying my surroundings and therefore was happy doing the exercise.

Despite the walking periods, in the 28 minutes I covered 4.17kms at an average pace of 6:48mins/km. My "speedy" first 10 minutes meant that the average was around the same as last session, even though I wasn't consistently jogging. I must remember to jog at a reasonable pace in order to be able to complete next week's 30 minute jogs.

My pace
My body isn't quite up to the stage to be able to jog at the quicker 6:00min/km pace to fit in 5kms in 30 minutes. However, I am okay with this because (as I have said previously) it will give me something to strive for after the 9 week app finishes. 

Tips for next run:
  • If you find yourself lagging, first, ensure there are no obstacles ahead (so you don't trip) then look up into the trees or the sky as you are jogging. Before you know it your legs will have picked up and you would of covered a positive distance.

No comments:

Post a Comment