About this Blog

I started this blog as a record of my journey in learning how to run. I hope my experience can help you too in your mission to get off the couch, start exercising and lose that extra layer.

My posts are honest and personal. I have divided them into three sections that comment on my emotions, the physical run (jog!) and tips for next time to help me improve my performance. I hope you can use these ideas to encourage and help you along in your couch to 5k journey.


Please share your experiences, ideas or questions in the comment section of each post.

Popular Posts

Saturday 21 January 2012

Week 9, Day 3

(Saturday 7:00am)

Emotions (before):
I was so excited to beat my distance from Wednesday's session. Unfortunately, a very unexpected summer thunderstorm struck my area and I could not go out and run. Grumbling thunder, fork lighting and heavy rain took over the morning. Once that had passed, the temperature was well into the late thirties and I spent the rest of the day at the beach and ate all the bad foods I had avoided the day before.

Then came today. Even though I was up early, I had a food hangover and was not at all in the mood to go out jogging. I was so disappointed that my vitality for the morning before was wasted. My cue to "get off the couch," get into my gear and get going was when my partner asked me "Ah, when are you going for your run?" I knew in my heart that today was not the day I was going to fulfill the 5kms in 30minutes goal, I just wasn't in the frame of mind and I needed that prompting from another to get me out.

The run:
In order to achieve the 5kms I had to run at an average speed of 6mins/km. I started off really well and was going at a reasonable pace. My mood also quickly changed and I was getting into the session (like always) and was aiming to achieve this target.

However, after I covered the first mile (1.6kms) I felt my pace slowing and my stamina waning. At each 6 minute prompt from the GPS, I had lost 100m, even though my legs were going as fast as they could! I only covered 4.42kms at an average pace of 6:49mins/km. A little less than Wednesday's run. But I am not completely disappointed... 

I have completed my goal of jogging for 30 minutes with no walking or intentionally slowing down. In addition to this, I have consistently stuck to an exercise routine for 2 months and have achieved something that I have never ever been able to do my whole life - jog for an extended period of time.

So onto next week: as I have completed the 30-minute-time-goal, I must crack the 5km target. I am going to keep running on Monday until I reach this distance, no matter the minutes. Then, I will try to beat my time over the week. Although the app may be finished, I am definitely not. Maybe by next summer I will be running 10k!?

I honestly feel kind of teary that I have completed this program and that I have got this far. That I am now an exerciser, a jogger with calf muscles (hehe) and driven to achieve more in my mission in learning how to run. Wow. This has been the best, most motivating exercise strategy I have ever come across.

I remember when I completed my first week I said I was going to give myself a medal, well today I am going to give myself a big trophy.
Tips for next time:
  • Set your goals according to what works for you. You will learn (as your exercise regime develops) about what motivates and stimulates you. This exercise routine is for your whole life, not a short-term fad, so if you don't complete a target this week, alter the way you go about it and try again next week. Then, once you have achieved that feat, set another challenge for yourself to strive for.

4 comments:

  1. Bravo!!! I'm envious of you. I'm finishing up week 2 this week. I can't wait until I can do 30 minutes straight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, it is so amazing, I seem to experience the same exertions running 30 minutes as I did running the three minute intervals! It is funny how our bodies quickly adapt. It seems so far away, but you will be up to where I am in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woohoo! I've enjoyed reading all your posts up to this point and can't wait til you get to the 5k in under 30 minutes! Keep up the amazing work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know you completed this a while back but well done! I've really enjoyed reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete