About this Blog

I started this blog as a record of my journey in learning how to run. I hope my experience can help you too in your mission to get off the couch, start exercising and lose that extra layer.

My posts are honest and personal. I have divided them into three sections that comment on my emotions, the physical run (jog!) and tips for next time to help me improve my performance. I hope you can use these ideas to encourage and help you along in your couch to 5k journey.


Please share your experiences, ideas or questions in the comment section of each post.

Popular Posts

Saturday 18 February 2012

Week 13

The week in review:

It was a generally good week. My goal was to complete 3 runs because in the last couple of weeks I had only managed two (that sounds so lazy!). I am very happy to report that I achieved this target.

For the first time (ever since I started back in November) I ran after work on Monday afternoon. I figured this is a new routine I have to get into as the mornings get darker with the season change. The first 10 minutes were very difficult as the day's lunch and coffee bounced around. Although, as always, once I pushed through this discomfort, I was jogging and I completed 30 minutes. This was definitely a new challenge for my body after being on my feet for a good part of the day. Jogging through the usual route in afternoon light was lovely and felt very rewarding. I definitely cannot drink coffee past 11am if I am running in the afternoon though!

Although it was visually nice running in the afternoon, on Wednesday I was very keen to do my jog in the morning - before work. I must admit though, it is becoming difficult getting up at the required time (5.30am) now that it is darker than during the height of summer. I guess I shouldn't whinge, some of you are jogging in snow!

So I missed Friday's scheduled jog and forced myself to go today (Saturday). I procrastinated in my running gear for a good 30 minutes before I finally convinced myself it was time to go. I ended up having a pleasing run and really pushed myself in the final k to try and get a positive time. As I wasn't that keen (at first) to go, I decided this would be a "no pressure session" and went through some bush tracks, where the natural path slows me down. Knowing I achieved a good time, taking this into account, has given me great confidence that last week's faster run wasn't a fluke. The 5km in 30 minutes goal is slowly, ever so slowly, starting to be in sight.

Week 13:
D1 (Monday afternoon): 4.26kms, 30mins, 7:08mins/km
D2 (Wednesday morning): 5.01kms, 34:39mins, 6:56mins/km
D3 (Saturday morning): 5.0kms, 32:47, 6:43mins/km

 

No comments:

Post a Comment