About this Blog

I started this blog as a record of my journey in learning how to run. I hope my experience can help you too in your mission to get off the couch, start exercising and lose that extra layer.

My posts are honest and personal. I have divided them into three sections that comment on my emotions, the physical run (jog!) and tips for next time to help me improve my performance. I hope you can use these ideas to encourage and help you along in your couch to 5k journey.


Please share your experiences, ideas or questions in the comment section of each post.

Popular Posts

Friday 16 December 2011

Week 4, Day 3

(Friday 5:45am)

Emotions (before):
I really couldn't be bothered going for the session this morning. I just wasn't in the mood. It wasn't 100% laziness - I just wasn't feeling it. But I went anyway to ensure I finished the week. Gone are the days of skipping exercise sessions! Routine and schedule (even on the day of the work Christmas party).

The run:
I had jogged straight to Struggle Town! I really had to push myself with today's runs. The three minute jogs were just as hard as the five minute ones. I had to keep on telling myself, "Just do it, the regret of not finishing will hurt you more than getting through this run." It wasn't the speed, as I was going slow, it was the endurance side of things. 

I had to set myself distance goals in order to keep going and count down the minutes. At the end, I didn't have my excited fuzzy feelings of "Yay, I achieved this!" it was more of a feeling of relief that I got the job done. As dramatic as I may sound, I had gone into battle against my mind and body. Thank goodness I won. Okay, yes, that sounds a bit too over the top for a measly 5 minute jog - but I don't know how else to describe it! I wonder what I am going to write come the 20 minute run next Friday then!?

As always, the trials in finishing each run are soon forgotten and the happiness in knowing that I had completed the session lasted all day.

I was explaining my program to a person and they asked me "Do you run or jog? As there is a big difference." I said to them "Well, to fit people I am jogging, but for me I am going as fast as I can." Fit people just do not understand how difficult it is to learn how to run, jog, oh whatever they want to call it!

Tips for next run:
  • Try not to concentrate on how many minutes are left of a run. Try to achieve distance goals instead and before you know it, the time will be up.
  • Finish each run. The regret of not finishing will hurt you more than the struggles you endure in completing the minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment