About this Blog

I started this blog as a record of my journey in learning how to run. I hope my experience can help you too in your mission to get off the couch, start exercising and lose that extra layer.

My posts are honest and personal. I have divided them into three sections that comment on my emotions, the physical run (jog!) and tips for next time to help me improve my performance. I hope you can use these ideas to encourage and help you along in your couch to 5k journey.


Please share your experiences, ideas or questions in the comment section of each post.

Popular Posts

Wednesday 14 December 2011

Week 4, Day 2

(Wednesday 5:45am)

Emotions (before):
I really struggled to get up today, I even slept in 30 minutes longer. I was also as scared about the 5 minute runs as I was on Monday. Wednesdays seem to be the day my laziness tries its hardest to take over. Luckily I am governed by a routine.

The run:
What was I going on about in my last post about Day 2 focusing on building up speed?! Oh my goodness, I struggled more physically and mentally today than I did on Monday. Even though I took the time to stretch, my legs were very stiff in the first 3 minute run and by the last 5 minute run I was struggling to get them up off the ground.

My tummy also decided that it had enough of the exercise and started to ache half way though the run (FYI not a stitch!). This was definitely the biggest obstacle to overcome. But I made sure that I pushed through this ever-present barrier. I knew the regret of not finishing would far outweigh the stomach ache that seemed to exasperate when I jogged.

I finished the runs, at a snail's pace. Although I was puffing like I had sprinted in all of them. I will take my own advice and I will concentrate on the positive -  I finished the runs! Yay!

It is quite hard psychologically to adjust to the final running cue "Only 1 minute to go." I kept thinking 'Aw what happened to only 15 seconds?' Pushing though that last 1 minute is a great effort. But it feels fantastic when you hear "Only 10 seconds left" when you know you have jogged the whole way.

The negative thoughts and feelings quickly subside when I finish each 5 minute run and reflect on the distance had I just covered.

Tips for next run:
  • Always remember you will finish each run, as long as you push through the barriers, no matter your speed.
  • (Personal) try to avoid eating carbohydrate based dinners the evening before. They do not sit well in the tummy during the morning's run.

No comments:

Post a Comment