About this Blog

I started this blog as a record of my journey in learning how to run. I hope my experience can help you too in your mission to get off the couch, start exercising and lose that extra layer.

My posts are honest and personal. I have divided them into three sections that comment on my emotions, the physical run (jog!) and tips for next time to help me improve my performance. I hope you can use these ideas to encourage and help you along in your couch to 5k journey.


Please share your experiences, ideas or questions in the comment section of each post.

Popular Posts

Saturday 17 December 2011

Week 4, NPS

(Saturday 3:30pm)

Emotions (before):
I didn't even think about going for a NPS (no pressure session) today, but after listening to a few upbeat songs I got right into the mood. Why would I want to waste a sudden urge to go for a jog? Especially when my last sessions have been a challenge to complete. So I added these new motivating tunes to my running playlist and off I went.

The run:
It is strange how the runs are just that little bit easier when there isn't the pressure to complete them. My knee was a little sore today, so I went at a nice easy pace and, as usual on a NPS, I told myself if I can't finish a run I had 'permission' to walk.

I am so trained now that when I hear "Run" on the iPhone app my body automatically starts jogging. Even when I was struggling a little, as soon as I heard the cue I went.

I (just) completed the runs. Although, in the last minute of the final 5-minute run I alternated between walking and jogging. I was starting to feel sick in that last couple of moments and today there was no need to force myself to finish - so I didn't.

This week has been one of the most challenging weeks to accomplish. It has been a real mental and physical push to complete the sessions. However, I broke through the barriers and I think I have earned a very big medal for reaching the milestone of one month of jogging :P. It is also significant for me because, for the first time, I have stuck to something that involves exercise consistently.

Furthermore, I had not seen my dad since I had started C25ks and when we met today he gasped at how my body has started to tone up.
He exclaimed, "Wow! You are looking so much more toned. You were starting to get dimples on your legs and now I can't see them." Ha ha, dads.
My mum then informed me, "I think he means cellulite."
"Yes, Mum, I got that."
It is a great feeling to hear this, particularly when the scales have not really budged.

Tips for next run:
  • Add a new song every now and then to your usual running playlist, it will add another zip in your step.
  • If you are not feeling it, play a couple of up beat tunes before your session, which are not on the running playlist. This may help you get into the zone.

No comments:

Post a Comment