About this Blog

I started this blog as a record of my journey in learning how to run. I hope my experience can help you too in your mission to get off the couch, start exercising and lose that extra layer.

My posts are honest and personal. I have divided them into three sections that comment on my emotions, the physical run (jog!) and tips for next time to help me improve my performance. I hope you can use these ideas to encourage and help you along in your couch to 5k journey.


Please share your experiences, ideas or questions in the comment section of each post.

Popular Posts

Monday 19 December 2011

Week 5, Day 1

  31 minutes of exercise: 5 minutes to warm-up, 5 to cool-down and 15 minutes running.
(3 x run 35 minutes, walk 3 minutes)

(Monday 9:00am)

Emotions (before):
Okay, I have my first sporting injury. A sore knee. My boyfriend even chuckled "Hehe, it's cute you have a sporting injury." Well, I always had bad ankles playing netball, but this is the first one in a very long time - because this is the first time I have consistently exercised in a long time!

So he told me I need a rest week. But the thought of missing a week was daunting. Could I get back into the routine? Will missing a week make my next run really hard?  Will I noticeably halt my progress?

My boyfriend, in his wisdom, also said "You shouldn't run, as you will really irritate it, then you won't be able to do anything for ages and then you will get fat." Men and their way with words!

Ah, but I went anyway...the thought of losing my achievements and halting my progress was a scarier thought than a sore knee (I may regret this!). I did say to myself if it is aching I will just walk today and give it another go tomorrow.

The run:
Today was sooooo much easier than last week! I actually wanted to start running when I was in the walking sections. I made sure I only ran on grass and didn't push my knee. Today I was back to feeling happy thoughts where I really enjoyed the exercise. Still had to push through the 5 minute runs, but the three minute walks in between really made them achievable.

Tips for next run:
  • It does get easier as you get fitter! Don't let previous hard weeks or days haunt you.

2 comments:

  1. you might want to try doing squats to strengthen legs, it helps to reduce runner's knee for me :) imo 200 squats program is a great addition to this one :) u r 1 week ahead of me... was motivated by this blog due to the tips but unfortunately it's been raining in my country often so my running schedules r kind of... all over the place XD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I am going to do those squats on my off days. Great idea.

    I am glad my blog is helping you as much as it has helped me :) It is funny, I remember my tips as I am jogging along to get through: "Remember I wrote that..."

    Thank you for taking the time to comment, it is very much appreciated. Off to do some squats now :P

    ReplyDelete