About this Blog

I started this blog as a record of my journey in learning how to run. I hope my experience can help you too in your mission to get off the couch, start exercising and lose that extra layer.

My posts are honest and personal. I have divided them into three sections that comment on my emotions, the physical run (jog!) and tips for next time to help me improve my performance. I hope you can use these ideas to encourage and help you along in your couch to 5k journey.


Please share your experiences, ideas or questions in the comment section of each post.

Popular Posts

Monday 12 December 2011

Week 4, Day 1

  31½ minutes of exercise: 5 minutes to warm-up, 5 to cool-down and 16 minutes running.
(2 x run 3 minutes, walk 1½ minutes; 2 x run 5 minutes, walk 2½ minutes)

(Monday 5:15am)

Emotions (before): 
As with every Sunday night before a new running week, I was very nervous about the thought of jogging for 5 minutes. I was REALLY nervous. It was nearly double the amount of time I achieved in Week 3. So, I ensured I stuck to my routine and had a good night sleep to prepare me for the new time.

The run:
I have decided that Day 1 is all about completing the session. I do not jog fast or hard. I jog at a moderate speed to ensure I will be able to finish each run. It is all about breaking through the fear barriers and getting used to the longer time frame. The pace I was jogging ensured I could achieve today's session.

Of course, 5 minutes felt like such a long time compared to the one minute running bursts. But, because I went at a slower pace, I was able to get though the time without exerting myself. I think Day 2 of the week is more about building up your speed, Day 3 is to confirm your achievement. Day 1 is all about the mental side of the program.

Tips for next run:
  • Day 1 is all about achieving a new feat in the program. Run at a moderate pace to ensure you complete the new times and do not worry about trying to go fast or hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment