About this Blog

I started this blog as a record of my journey in learning how to run. I hope my experience can help you too in your mission to get off the couch, start exercising and lose that extra layer.

My posts are honest and personal. I have divided them into three sections that comment on my emotions, the physical run (jog!) and tips for next time to help me improve my performance. I hope you can use these ideas to encourage and help you along in your couch to 5k journey.


Please share your experiences, ideas or questions in the comment section of each post.

Popular Posts

Saturday 10 December 2011

Week 3, Saturday NPS

(Saturday 7:00am)
"The NPS"

Emotions (before):
I have a real desire to do an extra session on a Saturday morning. This feeling of wanting to do some exercise is a very new one, especially on the weekend!

I think it is because of a combination of reasons:
  • There is no pressure to have to do the session to keep up with the program. Also, there is generally no where to rush to (i.e. work) after exercising. So the want to do a worry-free run is there. It is the no-pressure-session (NPS)!
  • I feel more confident heading into next week's regime knowing I can positively complete the current workout. This NPS run gives me this assurance. The regular three is not enough for me to feel 100% ready to move to the next level.
  • Usually on a Friday night (and in this case) I have a nice meal and a drink. Instead of thinking on a Saturday morning "I have to burn off all that bad food that will make me fatter," my body is actually telling me "You have some extra energy, lets go use it!" 
The run:
This is definitely a feel-good run. I can complete the week's 3 minute runs and it is at a consistent pace. The difference between a day 1 run and a NPS run on day 4 is amazing. I didn't realise our bodies could get fit so quickly. 
I told myself, "There is no pressure to complete it, so if you are struggling, just walk." But the want to complete each run overrides any fatigue. 

Tips for next run:
  • Keep your eyes up and looking forward when you run. Staring at your feet makes the runs harder and longer.
  • In the last minute of your shower after your run, turn the water to all cold. This will help wake up your body. 

No comments:

Post a Comment