About this Blog

I started this blog as a record of my journey in learning how to run. I hope my experience can help you too in your mission to get off the couch, start exercising and lose that extra layer.

My posts are honest and personal. I have divided them into three sections that comment on my emotions, the physical run (jog!) and tips for next time to help me improve my performance. I hope you can use these ideas to encourage and help you along in your couch to 5k journey.


Please share your experiences, ideas or questions in the comment section of each post.

Popular Posts

Friday 23 December 2011

Week 5, Day 3

  30 minutes of exercise: 5 minutes to warm-up, 5 to cool-down and 20 minutes running.
(20 minute run with no walking)

(Friday 7:30am)

Emotions (before);
I really didn't have any stong feelings before the run today - I was either going to be able to finish it...or not. Jogging for 20 minutes straight does sound like a long time though. Especially because the 3 and 5 minute runs of week 4 took it out of me! I had to remind myself I have been working towards this feat for 5 weeks now, the program wouldn't throw it in if I wasn't ready.

I had a trip down memory lane and read my previous running blogs. Days when completing 1 and a half minutes was exciting. It is amazing how far you come in, really, such little time.

The run:
I did it! I did it! As soon as I started, my legs got into a consistent jog and they just didn't stop. The twenty minutes actually went faster than I imagined. The last five minutes were a push and I was thinking 'Is it nearly done?' but in that time I never broke stride. I just kept on going!

I had my music up, ensured I never looked down at my feet and I enjoyed my surroundings. Not stopping for a walk (rest) inbetween probably made it easier as my legs were just continually rotating at the same speed. I will admit, I did have a minute or two in the last quarter where I was coming up with reasons why I should stop, but all I had to do was tell those thoughts where to go and I was fine. Yes, my cool down was VERY slow, but I happily completed the session.

I also downloaded one of those free GPS apps that track your route. According to the app I completed 3.99kms (okay can I round that up to 4kms!?) in the 30minute session, at an average pace of 7:38 min/km (7.9km/hour) hehe. That does include the walking sections. I might just calculate from the actual running section next time.

Here is a picture of my route:

I like the little message from the coach at the end of the jogging session, it made me kind of proud...you will just have to hear it for yourself!

Bring on next week!

Oh, and also, I snapped this picture during my walking...a wild Australian Christmas Tree, hehe:



Tips for next run:
  • Do not get deterred by what a session 'might be like'. The program is designed to ensure you will be ready for the upcoming running time. This doesn't mean it will be easy, but your body will be ready for the challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment